Current objectives are to lead and manage research teams in medicine, water and energy. Specific areas of interest currently are:
- Physics of Soft Matter, Cancer: Applied mechanics of tumor microenvironments. Collaboration with Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Water Purification and Energy: Fundamentals of nano-to-microstructure evolution in anti-fouling membranes for ultrafiltration, desalination prepared by phase separation, and interfacial polymerization routes using cryo-HRSEM, other tools (HR: high resolution). Memes are applicable to gas separation too. Interaction with JHU Global Water Program.
- Medicine: Fundamentals of polymeric and colloidal biomaterial formation (e.g., hydrogels) in ocular drug delivery and tissue engineering applications. Interaction with Wilmer Eye Institute, JHU School of Medicine.
- Better membrane technology through science to meet 21st century global needs; better targeted drug delivery in medicine from the physical sciences perspective.
- Theoretical modeling of transport through porous media, phase separation, stress development, particle mechanics
- Interfacing academic and industrial research; education; scientific writing and journal editing; green technologies